- How Climate Change Contributed to This Summer’s WildfiresThe image of the day from NASA’s Earth Observatory shows gusting plumes of smoke veiling the western United States. Two hundred thousand acres are on fire in California, fuelled by strong winds and unrelenting hot, dry conditions.
Read more... How Climate Change C
- The Divestment Movement to Combat Climate Change Is All Grown UpEarlier this week, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and his London counterpart, Sadiq Khan, co-authored an op-ed in the Guardian challenging other cities to join them in divesting their public pensions and other assets from fossil fuels.
Read more... The Divestment Movem
- Category 6? Climate change may cause more hurricanes to rapidly intensify.In little more than a day, Hurricane Florence exploded in strength, jumping from a Category 1 to a Category 4 behemoth with 140 mph winds. This process — hurricanes intensifying fast — is both extremely dangerous and poorly understood.
Read more... Category 6? Climate
- Every State Will Win in the Race to Build Offshore WindWe are at the dawn of an exciting new day for offshore wind in the United States. For far too long, offshore wind was a promising concept rather than an actual industry in this country.
Read more... Every State Will Win
- D.C. has already seen more than a full year’s worth of 90s, and there are more to comeAt times in June and July, it almost felt as if we might end up having a cooler summer than we’ve become accustomed to. Or at least not a really hot one. We did see a spike of extreme heat after Independence Day, but that’s typical, and it wasn’t as bad as some heat waves that time of year.
Read more... D.C. has already see